It’s been a while since I cooked soup and I’ve always been tempted to cook something besides the usual ABC soup so I decided on Old Cucumber (老黄瓜） since the ingredients needed are pretty generic and not hard to find.
- One small to medium size Chinese old cucumber
- 1.8 litres of water
- 10 red dates (optional)
- 6 dried scallops
- 200g pork ribs or lean meat
- 1 piece dried cuttlefish
- 1 sweet corn, cut to small pieces (optional)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut
- salt, to taste
- Scrub the skin of the old cucumber clean and cut it in half, length-wise. Scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Cut into smaller chunks.
- In a small pot, blanch the pork ribs in boiling water for a few minutes (so as to remove the scum bits). Drain the pork ribs and set aside.
- In a soup pot, add old cucumber chunks, blanched pork, water, red dates, dried scallops, dried cuttlefish, sweet corn and carrots. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer the soup over low heat for about 40 minutes. For best results, keep warm in thermal pot for four hours prior to serving.
- Season to taste with salt.
Recipe from Noobcook