This has always one of my favorite things to eat in Japan and I was quite happy to find the premix Okonomiya flour from Dasio which makes it even easier to make this tasty dish at home.
Ingredients (1-2 pax)
- 100gm of Dasio Okonomiyaki mix
- 90ml water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 – 1/2 of a small cabbage
- Some frozen mixed veggies
- 200gm of bacon or thinly sliced pork belly
- A bit of Olive oil
- Japanese mayo
Okonomiyaki Brown Sauce
- 3 tbsp of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of soya sauce
- Cut or shred cabbage into small pieces
- Mix water, egg plus okonomiyaki mix in a big bowl until there are no lumps
- Cut some of the bacon / pork belly into small pieces
- Mix both cabbage and the meat into the batter – there will be enough for 4 portions.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and scoop in one portion.
- Flatten the portion to ensure even and fast cooking
- Pan fry for about 2-3 minutes
- Add few pieces of bacon / pork belly on top of the pancake
- Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes -try not to add too much batter as it might not cook thoroughly.
- Check that pancake is cooked and serve hot with sauce and mayo