I am sure most people have heard of Pepper Lunch and their famous sizzling hot plate. I came across this Cookat recipe on Facebook and was keen to try it out cos it seemed so simple with just a few key ingredients. I even tried making my own mirin using sugar and rice vinegar. The odd thing is the homemade mirin has a sweeter taste while the mirin i bought from Isetan dun really register. Maybe it has to do with the amount of sugar.
- 1 cup rice (cooked)
- 200-300gm of shabu shabu pork / beef
- 2 tbsp of corn (I use half a can)
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- Nob of butter
- Black pepper
- Mix the sugar, mirin and light soya sauce in a small bowl.
- Melt nob of butter in pan and add rice. Alternatively, add the butter into the hot rice when it’s just cook and mix well before adding to hot pan.
- Add the sauce over the rice and add in the corn.
- Stir-fry to mix evenly and then place the meat around the edges of the pan. Add black pepper to taste.
- If using cast iron pan, remove from stove and use the residual heat to cook the meat. Mix with rice and serve.
Note: I use a non-stick wok pan so I stir-fry the meat with the rice until cooked and flatten the rice in the pan to get the rice a bit charred for additional flavor. Do not add too much butter as the rice will become very oily.