This is another of the comfort food that I love and remember. Even though my mum did not cook it often. Glutinous rice unfortunately is not so easy to digest so it’s not exactly a staple food item. But every time mum cooks this – everyone will want to have second helpings.
- 1 cup of glutinous rice soaked overnight
- 3-4 pcs of scallops / or dried shrimp
- 4-5 pcs of dried mushroom
- 1 Chinese sausage / lap cheong sliced
- 1/2 – 1 chicken thigh or pork cut to small pieces
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Olive oil
- 1 cup water from soaking mushrooms and scallops
Marinade for chicken / pork
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- white pepper
- Marinate chicken / pork for at least 30 minutes or longer and drain water from glutinous rice.
- Wash and then soak mushrooms and scallops overnight and reserve the water later for steaming
- Slice mushroom and tear scallops into strips for frying later
- Heat wok pan and stir fry lap cheong until oil is released
- Remove lap cheong and add in chicken or pork stir fry. Add scallops, mushrooms and garlic and stir fry together until fragrant. Dish up and set aside to cool.
- Add rice to pan and add seasoning – stir fry until rice is coated evenly
- Add back meat, mushroom etc and stir fry for while to mix with rice
- Off heat and dish rice into steaming pot or pan
- Add 1 cup of water or enough to cover rice in pot.
- Steam for 30-40 minutes until rice is cooked and dry